Friday, December 7, 2012

Progression of My Leukodystrophy

Since the day of my surgery I have seen things get better for a while, then get worse. A kind of back and forth kind of progression. I have Leukodystrophy, and it's kind of a progessive disease that gets worse with age. Leukodystrophy is a diterieration of the Myelin Sheath or (white matter) in the brain. Myelin is the protective coat over the nerves in the brain, kind of like the plastic protection on an electrical cord. 

People with this disorder experience



  • Balance / equilibriun problems
  • Shaking (ataxia)
  • Seizures
  • Problems with motor abilities (walking running)
  • Probems with itellectual abilities (comprehension, memory, behavior)
  • Sensory problems (seeing hearing etc.)

With my VNS (Vagus Nerve Stimulator) I don't believe that this is a cure for my Leukodystrophy.
I have read from other people that they have had there loved ones have VNS to help control the seizures.

This does not stop the fact that the Myelin Sheath (white matter) in the brain is still in deterieration. So it is not my opinion that VNS will stop or control any of the other simptoms listed above. The reason for this is because I have begone to experience some of the other simptoms of this disease and it will only get worse as I get older.

    

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I do know that there are many types if Leukodystrophy. I however don't know what type I have. All I know is that Leukodysrophy is what I have

      Delete